Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Letter of Thanks

Below is the text from a recent Letter to the Editor of our local paper (The Oregonian).  I don't know if it will be published (I don't read the paper), but I thought you might enjoy reading it here.  Bryson, the Guide Dog in the letter, was actually raised in our Puppy Club.  Go Team!

As we get closer to the time when our dear little Honeydew heads off to puppy training "college", it is a nice reminder that we are doing this for the right reasons.

April 7, 2009 

Terrence L. Blosser, Pataskala, OH

Letter to the Editor The Oregonian

To Whom It May Concern:

As a recent Guide Dog for the Blind graduate  I want to take a moment and share a reflection of my experience with all of you.

I was accepted for the Guide Dog for the Blind program.  I arrived in Portland on March 9th, 2009.  From there, I went to the Guide Dog for the Blind campus in Boring.  I stayed there until graduation and flew home on April 5th, 2009.

 I was matched up with my new guide dog, Bryson, a yellow Labrador Retriever.  He and I trained, as a team, throughout parts of downtown Gresham, the suburbs of Gresham, downtown Portland, the suburbs of Fairview, at the Clackamas Town Center Mall as well as a few other sites.

I could not have asked for a better environment for training.  All of the people that we encountered were absolutely wonderful.  They were very understanding and compassionate people.  I truly feel that we could not have asked for a better place to receive training.

While there, it became very obvious to me that the people there also are very proud and supportive of Guide Dog for the Blind (GDB).  Many volunteer at the GDB campus, many are puppy raisers and many make financial contributions to Guide Dog for the Blind.  I was truly humbled to learn all of the generosity exhibited by the Oregonian people.

At my graduation, a young girl talked about raising money for GDB by donating all of the proceeds from her lemonade stand.  A Brownie troop raised funds from their Girl Scout cookie sale.  A Girl Scout troop also raised money for the program. 

In closing, I say: To all of the people and merchants in Gresham, Portland and the surrounding areas, I want to say “Thank You” for being understanding, compassionate and warm towards us Guide Dog for the Blind students.  Words alone cannot express gratitude that I feel.  I will always remember my stay there with fondness and appreciation of the people of Oregon.

To all of the volunteers, staff, instructors at Guide Dog for the Blind, I thank you all for a pleasant experience.  Everyone was understanding and very professional.  Bryson and I have bonded very well.  I look forward to a nice journey with Bryson at my side.

If anyone is interested in helping this wonderful organization, please go to their website; www.guidedogs.com

Regards,

Terrence L. Blosser

No comments:

Post a Comment